Wednesday, September 21, 2011

20 Years

Our 20th wedding anniversary was about a month ago.

Brian will brag to everyone he meets about how we have been married for so long.  Even in the hospital after the surgery he introduce me to every team of doctors who came by and tell them that we had been married for 19 years.  They all nodded with a congratulatory grunt.  One morning a resident on one of the teams was making conversation and asked if there was a secret to getting a marriage to last for 19 years. I said, "You make it work."  The attending stopped them all and said, "Do you here that?"  He reinforced that a good marriage doesn't just happen, it is work and you have to make it work.  I hope the resident's learned something that morning.

Here are the beautiful roses Brian got me for our anniversary, surrounded by the bits of our life.  The Cub Scout rain gutter regatta boat, because that is how I spent the evening of our anniversary.  The thermos from the new school lunchbox, the canning jar for the jam I keep intending to make, the McDonald's bag from the dinner I picked up on the way home from the office.  The books and toys of the day.  The actual trappings of family life after 20 years of marriage.

Thank you, Brian, for 20 years.  Kisses.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much. You had to drag me across the line but we made it. You're my best friend and I respect you so much.

    BTW, the flowers are from "La Jolie Fleur" on Park Ave. Highly recommended. Good people.

    ReplyDelete