Monday, February 7, 2011

Who am I? (A posting of introduction)

The name of my blog is taken from the back of a t-shirt.

Granted, it is a t-shirt that I made for myself before going to Girls Camp as a leader for the first time 11 years ago.  I wanted to put my name on the back of the shirt - but which name?  By that time I had already collected many names and couldn't pick just one that I felt summarized who I am.  So I put all of my names in a row.  When someone asked what to call me, I pointed to the back of my shirt and said, "Pick one."  Or combine a couple.  It's all good.

Sister for my place in the gospel of Jesus Christ.  A literal spirit sister to each and every human being who lives, has lived or ever will live.  But don't expect me to put you all on my Christmas gift list.

Doctor for the 4 years of medical school that got me the title.  I'm not stuffy about it, and I don't make a big deal when patients call me Angela ... or sweety ... or honey.  I do refer to myself as doctor when I introduce myself to patients because they need to know my role.  And I guess I was just raised to use titles with people.

Angela for the name given me by my parents.  Not Angie.  Not Ang.  Angela.  I can't really explain why, but I'm just not a nick-name person when it comes to myself.  Angela is the person I was growing up before I got the rest of these titles.  It's my go-to persona.

Beeler for the name I took with marriage.  It brought with it a wonderful family-in-law.  How many other people vacation with their in-laws and leave the spouse at home?  And it moved me up in the alphabet.

(I did not abandon my maiden name.  It sits in between my first and last names.  But not on this blog.  It is not my middle name.  It is my maiden name.)

Mom for the 3 little ones who call me that.  It is my best name.  It wasn't until having children of my own that I realized I had been a Mom all along.  I wanted to have kids for a long time, and even when I thought I couldn't I still knew I was a Mom.  Having kids just clarified what I was already doing.

Those are my titles.  How else am I defined?  Hopefully many of the entries to follow will answer that question.  In the meantime, here are a few more descriptors:

  • The fat blob in the family pictures drawn by my son.  I can always tell which stick figure is me.
  • Housecleaning is at the bottom of my priority list.  Seriously.  It's kinda sad.
  • I am not 24601, but I do love a good musical.  I can sing but I don't advertise that, you have to find out for yourself.
  • An iPad user who will not give up her unlimited data plan even though she doesn't come close to using enough 3G data to justify it most months.
  • Meyers-Briggs introvert.  I have a vibrant inner life.
  • Mamaroo100
OK, on with the show.  After a brief interlude to deal with the responsibilities that come with all these titles.

1 comment: