Sunday, May 8, 2011

Motherhood

It wasn't until having children of my own that I realized I had been a Mom all along.


My oldest child is now eleven.  Reflecting on all the things I do for her, and my twins, that are considered "motherly duties", I realize these are things I have been doing for other people since I have been able.


A mother listens to others, even when what they say is ridiculous.  She corrects when appropriate.
A mother sacrifices her own desires to meet the needs, physical or emotional, of others.
A mother loves unconditionally.  She may be saddened by the actions of others, but she loves all the same.
A mother teaches.  She shares her knowledge, her enthusiasm and her determination to learn.
A mother cries for the pain of others.  And then she gets up and keeps going.


As women we bear the title of mother before we are even born.  Sometimes we refer to it as being a sister, a friend, a companion, a mentor, a servant.  All of this really just means being a mother.


To all the woman in my life who have been mothers to me - my physical mother, my sister, my friends, my teachers - thank you for the mothering you have given me.
To all the people in my life who are children to me - my biological children, my Primary children, my students, my friends, my family - thank you for your patience as I learn how to be a mother.


I do believe that the most meaningful name I can be called is Mother.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had been thinking about how much my motherhood means to me for a long time and really wanted to share that.  I am dissatisfied with how stiff and preachy this came out.  Because that is not how my motherhood feels!  It is warm and squishy (hmmmm, like me) and joyful.  So here are the mother moments I enjoy outside the confines of my own family:


-Primary children running up to hug me or tell me something, but also just grabbing a primary kid to give them a hug and a kiss.
-That I can now name all 60 of my Primary kids by sight!
-The fabulous, random things that kids tell me in the office.
-Giving advice to parents - makes me feel like a wise Abuela!
-Talking to my friends about what they have accomplished.
-Having my students tell me of their questions and concerns.
-Bearing testimony with my sister on the phone.
-Loving people without having to judge them or "fix" them.  What a relief!
-Cleaning up in the kitchen after activities, laughing and chatting with others.  (Half a gigantic cake with Oprah on it?  Whaaaaaahhhh?!!!)  Or even cleaning up without other people sometimes.
-Smiling at people randomly, just to let them know I see them.


Life is good.  To be a nurturer is good.


And when I say "confines of my own family" I of course mean that in the nicest way possible...


ALB

No comments:

Post a Comment